Sunday 21 February 2010

last night in suicide forest.

So today was my last day photographing the forest, and my last day staying in Kawiguchiko. was it what i expected? did i get what i came for?... i dont know... to either of those questions.. i guess it was worse than i expected it to be. the forest was by far more dence and hard to navigate than i thought it would be, even after reading and hearing so much about it, i was just like "yeah, it cant be THAT bad, i live in the new forest and i havnt once got lost there".. yeah.. i was wrong. it was that bad. infact it was worse. but, with all the bad things iv said about this place, and about the forest. and all suicide related matters aside. it is beautiful. this whole area is, mt.fuji is amazing. i was waiting to see it, but didnt really expect to be impressed, but it dominates the skyline with its iconic shape. im glad i got to see it. and i really enjoyed the physical challenge involved in lugging all my equiptment around every day. im glad that its over, but im also very very glad that i came here. as for did i get what i came for? i guess i wont know untill i get home and develop the film. i have 70 odd (hopefully correctly exposed) sheets of film. and about 4 fogged or blank sheets from me being clumbsy with the darkslides/ forgetting to close the lense. but overall im happy with what i chose to photograph and what i chose not to photograph. im going to tokyo tomorow, then its only 4 days untill i will be home!

so this morning, i got up super early, hoping to catch jade before she went out, i JUST missed her.. as i was up so early and it was my last day, i decided to get the early bus to the forest, make the most of it and all that.... but when sitting on the bus, i realised... not only did i only have a few sheets of film left, so "making the most of it" would not really last the 8 hours of the day... and when it inevitably didnt, i would be stuck here, in this boring little computer room while all of you were asleep. also, if i jus stayed on the bus till it looped back home i would be back in time (hopefully) for jade to be back from wayf. i was, and i got to talk to her ever so slightly drunk self on Skype. wich was amazin, getting to talk to her/see her properly fully cheered me up. though it ended with her falling asleep as i tried to explain to her how a light meter worked... here is a screen shot of her asleep...

me: jade....
me: jade?
me:....... youv fallen asleap havnt you....

haha


as soon as the sun comes out this place gets so busy. seriously, there were days when i was lucky to see this many people in the whole day. and this morning theres people all over the place.








i spent about 3 hours in the forest, and got all the shots i wanted to, got about 10 sheets today.


i swear there are more NO ENTRY paths than there are paths that your actually aloud to take in this place..






so back to tokyo tomorow. im staying in a capsual hotel near Ueno where me and jade stayed in the first week... should be interesting.. hopefully ill be able to update my blog from there...
though i just want to say, thank you so much, for all those people who have been checking my blog, everytime someone tells me there checking it, or they have checked it it makes me smile. it has been so useful to me to be able to share what iv seen/how im feeling on my blog and knowing that people are actually genuinley interested enough to check it out made it alot easier.

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW! I visited Aokigahara on the 1st of December last year and I agree it was beautiful, but no where near as beautiful as you saw it - covered in snow! Those photos are amazing! What time of year did you go?? I went with two friends and compiled all the photos and videos we took, along with excerpts of my travel journal and wrote up the story of my experience on my blog. I think you'll find it worth a read! You can find it here. Thanks again for sharing your pictures :)
    http://endofthegame.net/2012/02/20/aokigahara/

    ReplyDelete